28% of the teen drivers involved in fatal crashes had been drinking or had a prior moving violation such as speeding
Before getting behind the wheel, new drivers and their parents can promise and commit to each other that they will practice safe driving habits. Use the agreement below to begin a discussion with new drivers.
PARENT/TEEN SAFE DRIVING AGREEMENT (copy and sign)
As a family, we agree that…
• Driving is not a right; it is a privilege that can be taken away
• Safe driving requires a person's complete attention and focus
• Driver performance is impaired by drugs, alcohol, and sleepiness
• Proper sleep is important for health and safety, and we will make it a priority in our lives
• Speeding and other forms of reckless driving are dangerous
• Seatbelts save lives
As a new driver, I agree to…
• Wear a seatbelt and obey traffic laws at all times
• Not to use a phone while driving and to give driving my full attention
• Never to drive under the influence of drugs, alcohol or sleepiness
• Not to ride with someone under the influence of drugs, alcohol or sleepiness
• Learn about the signs of sleepiness
• Stop driving if I recognize the signs of sleepiness and find a safe place to nap, call home to be picked up or make arrangements for alternative transportation
As parents, we agree to…
• Make sleep a household priority
• Be an example – we will not drive under the influence of sleepiness, drugs or alcohol or ride with others who do so
• Be supportive – we will pick up or help find alternative transportation for a driver impaired by drugs, alcohol or sleepiness
• Be a resource – we will review safe driving practices with our teen regularly
I promise to abide by the rules outlined above. If I choose not to follow these rules, I understand that I will lose my driving privileges and will need to make other transportation arrangements.
Signature_______________________________ Date _______________
I promise to set a good example and help my child to succeed in following these rules and to become a safe and responsible driver. I will make myself available to discuss these rules and driver safety when necessary. Signature_______________________________ Date ________________
Information for this blog was located at Drowsy Driving Prevention Resource Center and The National Sleep Foundation.
PLEASE share this article with others who can benefit from the information. Many of our friends and family have new drivers in the family. Help Save Lives.
If you are seeking a passionate 'Safety Advocate,' who speaks on "Safety is 24/7," contact us today. Thank you.