Smartphones are the Gateway to a WORLD of Information
.......... Dr. Isabel Perry
You work in a remote area and need information for a task OR you want information and do not want to go back to the notebooks on shelves in the office, OR you are curious about a situation or condition. The scenarios are endless. It is time to "turn your smartphone from a 'toy' into a 'tool.' Here is a list of arguably the top apps for safety professionals. The order is randomized and not ranked.
- iAUDITOR: One of the top 2 apps safety pros are using. It provides custom audits, inspections, reports and forms. It is available for iPhones and Android, and it is free.
- OSHA-NIOSH HEAT SAFETY TOOL: This is the other app most used by safety pros. It provides heat index measurements either directly from the National Weather Service or from direct user input. It works on iOS and Android and is free. It is in English and Spanish and links directly to the OSHA website.
- ILO ERGONOMICS CHECKPOINTS: From Europe’s International Labour Organization, this app has excellent graphics showing correct ergonomic postures and works offline. There are 132 checkpoints in total. The app also includes best practice recommendations for taking action and implementing effective improvements in ergonomics in the workplace. It works offline, is free and is available for both major smartphone platforms.
- ACCUWEATHER: This app has one rarity: It is available for iOS, Android and Windows phones. For anyone who needs to keep track of approaching thunderstorms and lightning, this app has a superior radar feature. There are no pop-up ads, and you can setup severe weather alerts.
- INCIDENT COST CALCULATOR: From WorkSafeBC, this app has great videos and is easy to use. It takes the user through step-by-step instructions to calculate the cost of a workplace injury. While you can not put a price on a workers' health and well-being, you should know the financial cost of a workplace incident. By uncovering the obvious - and not-so-obvious - costs of an incident, this calculator uses sample accident and injury scenarios from a number of industries to show why a safe workplace is good business. It is available for iOS and Android, and it is free.
- ELECTRICAL SAFETY TESTS: Developed by Mr. Combi Training, this app lays out common electrical safety testing. The app has four parts: the Electrical Safety Tests, a Multimeter Guide, an Ohm's Law Calculator and an Ohm's Law Guide. It is $1.99 and has excellent multi-meter graphics.
- FALL CLEAR-LITE: From High Engineering Crop, this app calculates fall clearances. It is easy to input data, has great graphics, uses U.S. and metric measures, and has many references to various standards. It is available for iOS and Android and it is free.
- POCKET FIRST AID: From Jive Media, this app provides information on First Aid, CPR, and AED use. It is $1.99 and is available for iOS and Android. It is user-friendly and has great photos and videos.
- NIOSH POCKET GUIDE TO HAZARDOUS CHEMICAL LIST: The App (mNPG) works on any mobile device with an HTML5-compliant web browser. The app can be used offline when no internet or cell phone connection is available.
- 634 chemical entries and appendices.
- Links to IDLH, as well as NIOSH and OSHA Methods (require a data connection).
- Search chemical by name and synonym, DOT number, CAS number, RTECS number.
- “Type ahead” technology to quickly find chemicals.
- “Preferences” menu to select information to display.
- “Favorite” commonly used chemicals
10. NIOSH LADDER SAFETY: This one is directly from the CDC, works on iOS and Android and is free. Users can make ladder angle calculations, and it has great ladder inspection tips. It also works offline.
PLEASE comment and add other safety apps you have used. We can all learn from each other.
If you are looking for a speaker on the topic of 'safety and technology,' contact Dr. Isabel Perry. In addition to learning what is current in technology, it is important to take a 'futurist' view. By planning ahead of the curve, you can learn methods to improve safety performance, reduce accidents and improve the bottom line.
Contact us today to learn more.